Friday, August 21, 2009

BEETLE AND BARDS

What does it mean when you get nicer comments on rejection slips than you do on acceptance letters? I think the market for my work--not the silly bits I write for fun, but that which springs from my heart--is a tiny thing that scuttles when uncovered and often gets away before I can sink the pin. It's my choice to write what I want, not what is expected. If someone tells me he loved a piece or that it touched him deeply in some strange way, but that it isn't quite right for him, I've already accomplished what I set out to do.

The Liar's League is a group of British actors who record themselves reading short stories at live, monthly events. I learned yesterday that my story, KICK HEAD KIMBERLY, is on a short list of works which have divided the judges. I absolutely love the idea of an actor reading something I wrote to a room full of people, with half of them clapping and the other half yelling Oh, come on....

Doesn't "Beetle and Bards" sound like a brand of wine cooler?

No comments:

Post a Comment